Ingrown toenails are known to physicians as onychocryptosis. They are common, painful conditions that occur when the skin on the side of a toenail grows over the edge of the nail, or when the nail grows into the skin.
What Causes Ingrown Toenails:
- Toenails are simply too large or the condition develops as a result of genetically inherited tendencies.
- Persons whose toes curl
- Trauma, such as stubbing a toe or having one stepped on can cause a piece of the nail to jam into the skin.
- Trimming them incorrectly
- Bedsheets are kept tucked-in tightly
- Fungal infections can also cause ingrown toenails.
Fill out the form below if you are interested in Dr. Sedicum’s services and one of our team members will get back to you as soon as possible!